Measurement is an important part of all our lives, both for defining objectives and then calculating progress towards them.
Creating inspiration and emotional engagement in a time of change might be harder to measure than many other things but it is also really important. This means you need to know whether the tools of Inner Leadership are making a difference for you, so the book includes a measurement system that you can use to track your progress.
The book provides more than 30 tools that help you build the seven skills or competencies of inner leadership. Together, these form a staircase or a ladder that you can climb from wherever you are now to become a more inspiring leader of yourself and other people:
At the lowest level, if some disaster has just happened, you might be experiencing extreme inner turmoil or churning. Here you need the tools of Chapter 1 to quickly become ‘Centred’ and ‘Grounded’ and more connected with who you are.
Next you need to make clearer sense of the situation and avoid making assumptions. Your inner emotional state now shifts to feeling confident or ‘Sure’.
In Chapter 3 you realise that every challenge is an opportunity. This brings you a wider range of opportunities to choose from and makes sure you have considered everything. This makes you more ‘Optimistic’.
In Chapter 4 you choose the opportunity or direction that is best for you: you become ‘Directed’.
In Chapters 5 and 6 you consider your wider priorities and create an inspiring vision of the outcome you want to create. Now you can inspire yourself and other people to want to make your goal happen. Your emotional states shift to ‘Determined’, then ‘Inspired’.
And in Chapter 7 you learn to manage the emotional and psychological transitions that you and your key stakeholders will go through as you implement your goal. Now you are ‘Ready’ to begin.
Each step on its own is small, simple, and straightforward. Combined in the right order, they become a transformational staircase that anyone can climb.
Measuring your abilities at the start and end of each chapter lets you easily track your improvement.
Why not do this now? How do you rate your current abilities (0-10) at the following seven competencies:
- Keeping calm in a crisis and maintaining a strong inner connection with who you are and what you care about: Centre and Ground
- Connecting with your intuition and avoiding making assumptions: become Sure
- Finding the ten types of opportunity in any situation: become Optimistic
- Choosing the way best forward for you: give yourself a Direction to move in
- Comparing this with your purpose and values: become Determined
- Turning your chosen way forward into an inspiring vision: become Inspired
- Maintaining and growing the emotional engagement of yourself and your key stakeholders as you move forward: be fully Ready for implementation
Would you like to reach ’10’ in every competency? Which one is your top priority right now?
Adapted from Inner Leadership: a framework and tools for building inspiration in times of change.
You can sign up to daily posts here.