Measurement is an important part of all our lives, both for defining our objectives and for evaluating our progress towards them.
So the book includes a measurement system that you can use to track your progress.
As a first step, the tools of Chapter 1 will help you to become ‘Centred’ and ‘Grounded’ more deeply and more quickly.
Next you need to make clear sense of the situation. Your inner emotional state shifts to feeling confident or ‘Sure’.
In Chapter 4 you choose the opportunity or way forward that is best for you: you become ‘Directed’.
In Chapters 5 and 6 you consider your purpose and values and create an inspiring description of the outcome you have chosen to create. Now you can inspire yourself and other people to want to make it happen. Your emotional states shift to ‘Determined’, then ‘Inspired’.
And in Chapter 7 you learn how to maintain and build that inspiration as you move through the transitions that will inevitably arise as you implement your goal. Now you are ‘Ready’ to begin.
Each of these seven skills or competencies can be measured and improved — just like riding a bike, playing a sport or musical instrument, making a great cup of coffee, or anything else you’ve ever learned to get good at.
Each step on its own is small and straightforward. But combined in the right order they become a transformational staircase that anyone can climb — making you a more inspiring and antifragile leader of yourself and other people through times of change.
Measuring how antifragile you are helps you understand where to improve and shows you the progress you are making.
If you’d like to become more antifragile, why not start now?
First, rate your current ability (0-10) at each of these seven core competencies:
- Staying calm in a crisis and maintaining a strong inner connection with who you are and what matters most to you
- Recognising when you are making assumptions, testing and resolving them, and connecting deeply with your intuition
- Finding the opportunities in any situation (there are ten types)
- Decisively choosing the best way forward for you
- Knowing how this fits with your purpose and values
- Converting your chosen way forward into inspiration and emotional engagement
- Maintaining and growing that emotional engagement in yourself and your key stakeholders as you move forward
What would ’10’ would look like for you in each competency? Where do you most need to improve right now?
Adapted from Inner Leadership: a framework and tools for building inspiration in times of change.
You can sign up to daily posts here.
(And remember: you don’t learn to swim by reading about swimming, you also have to practice.)