To get us through this time of change we need a new approach to leadership.
To know what that looks like, we have to answer the question: what do we mean by Leadership?
We believe the essence of leadership boils down to creating two things: inspiration and results.
- The best leaders are the ones who get results
- The best leaders are the ones who most inspire us
- The truly great leaders are the ones who somehow manage to deliver both inspiration and results
To find a new approach to leadership in times of change we need to find new ways of delivering inspiration and results in times of change.
Where should we begin?
At first glance it might seem to make sense to start with results — after all, there are so many urgent issues and crises to address that we don’t really have time to think about inspiration.
But there will always be another crisis. And crisis creates stress. And stressed-out people don’t see the situation clearly, which leads to poor decisions, which get implemented badly, so the situation isn’t resolved, and the churning just gets worse — both our inner emotional churning and the outer churning in the world.
But if we focus instead on finding new ways to create inspiration and emotional engagement in these times of change then five things will happen:
- We will learn to see our situations more calmly and more clearly
- We will find more inspiring options for moving forward
- We will become more certain about the outcomes we want to create
- And will talk about them in ways that inspire us and other people to want to make them happen
- And then, when we come to implementation, we will be more focused and enthusiastic, more efficient, effective, and adaptable to changing circumstances, and that will bring results that last
Leadership in a time of change has to start with creating inspiration: first in ourselves and then in other people. This is ‘Inner Leadership’. This is how we become antifragile.
On a scale of 0–10, how confident are you today in your ability to create inspiration in this time of change? Would you like to improve?
Adapted from Inner Leadership: a framework and tools for building inspiration in times of change.
You can sign up to daily posts here.