Winston Churchill famously said:
“You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks.”
A time of change brings many barking dogs.
If we allow ourselves to be distracted by all of them we will never reach our destination.
This is why Inner Leadership includes several tools to help us ignore these distractions:
- Keeping calm in a crisis and connecting with what matters most to us
- Making clear sense of our situation
- Explicitly deciding whether to engage with issues that arise or ignore them
And several tools to keep us focused on where we want to get to:
- Choosing the way forward that is best for us
- Knowing our purpose (which barking dogs matter) and values (the priorities we set for how we will travel)
- Creating an inspiring vision of our chosen way forward, to inspire and draw us forward
You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks.
Yesterday, did you spend more time dealing with barking dogs or moving towards your destination? What will you do tomorrow?
Adapted from Inner Leadership. Buy the Book