Becoming ‘antifragile’ is about more than just being resilient in a time of change. It’s about more than just being able to cope with stress and change. It’s about knowing how to use stress and change to become stronger.
That doesn’t happen overnight. And it doesn’t happen in a single step.
Becoming antifragile has two parts. It’s about being clearer about what matters most to you and more able to put that into practice.
Inner Leadership describes seven sets of skills or competencies that build these two abilities step by step:
1. The first is your ability to remain calm in a crisis, remaining strongly connected with who you are and what matters most to you. This gets you through the storms — and when times are calm it expands your ability to influence the world.
2. When the world no longer works the way it used to it is easy to make mistaken assumptions. The second new skill is to know how to spot those misinterpretations and to spot the new patterns that are emerging.
3. The third key skill is to be able to find more opportunities, even in a crisis. This increases your options, strengthens your morale, and puts you back in control — all of which make you more likely to succeed.
4. The fourth new skill is your ability to choose the best way forward, even when you have little information or don’t know how things are going to turn out.
5. The fifth competency is to get clear on your purpose and values — these bring continuity and keep you and your team aligned, focused, efficient, effective, and adaptable no matter what happens.
6. The sixth key capability in a time of change is the ability to describe your chosen way forward in a way that inspires you and other people to want to make it happen.
7. The seventh new skill is knowing how to maintain and build emotional engagement as you move forward — and again, to be able to do this for yourself and other people.
These are the seven skills, capabilities, or competencies of Inner Leadership. These are the seven steps to becoming antifragile in a time of change.
Inner Leadership will bring you tools and frameworks that enable you to develop and grow your abilities at each and every one of them.
On a scale of 0-10 how strong are you at these seven competencies today? Which key skill will be most critical for you over the next 12 months? Which do you most need to improve?
Adapted from Inner Leadership: a framework and tools for building inspiration in times of change.
You can sign up to daily posts here.