So how can we achieve this?
Inner Leadership describes seven skills or competencies that build emotional engagement and inspiration, step by step:
1. The first is our ability to remain calm in a crisis, remaining strongly connected with who we are and whatever matters most to us. This gets us through the storms — and when times are calm it builds a strong foundation that we can use to extend our influence in the world.
2. When the world no longer works the way it used to it is easy to make mistaken assumptions. The second new skill is to correct our misinterpretations (based on how the world used to work) and spot the new patterns that are emerging.
3. The third key step is to be able to find more opportunities, even in a crisis. Knowing how to do this increases our options, strengthens our morale, and puts us back in control — all of which makes us more likely to succeed.
4. The fourth new skill is our ability to choose the best way forward, even when we have little data and all around is changing. There are several ways of doing this.
5. The fifth competency is to copy the global best practice at succeeding in highly unpredictable environments, by defining our purpose and our values — these keep us and our team aligned, focused, efficient, effective, and adaptable even when all around is changing.
6. The sixth key capability is to describe your chosen way forward in a way that inspires you and other people to want to make it happen.
7. The seventh new skill is the ability to maintain and build emotional engagement as you move forward to make your vision a reality.
These are the seven skills, capabilities, or competencies of Inner Leadership in times of change.
Across seven chapters, the book provides tools and frameworks that enable you to grow and develop your abilities at every one.
By applying them, you will shift from surviving in a world of change to thriving in it: finding confidence and joy in knowing and creating whatever it is that matters most to you.
On a scale of 0-10 how strong are you at these seven competencies today? Which key skill will be most critical for you over the next 12 months? Which do you most need to improve?
Adapted from Inner Leadership: a framework and tools for building inspiration in times of change.
You can sign up to daily posts here.