Becoming ‘antifragile’ is about more than just coping with change — it’s about using change to become stronger.
That doesn’t happen overnight and it doesn’t happen in a single step.
There are two aspects to becoming antifragile. One is to become clearer about what matters most to you. The other is to become better at putting it into practice. Both must grow together.
Inner Leadership describes a framework that builds both these parts side by side, by developing your abilities at seven key skills or competencies:
- The first is your ability to remain calm in a crisis, remaining strongly connected with who you are at your best and what matters most to you. This gets you through the storms — and when times are calm it expands your ability to influence the world. It also connects you more deeply with what is important to you.
- When the world no longer works the way it used to it is easy to make mistaken assumptions. The second skill is to know how to spot those assumptions and make clearer sense of what is really happening — and connect more deeply with your intuition.
- The third key ability is the ability to find more opportunities, even in a crisis. This increases your options, boosts your morale, and puts you back in control — all of which make you more likely to succeed.
- The fourth key skill is your ability to choose the best way forward for you, even when you have little or no information to base your decision on or you can’t predict how things will turn out.
- The fifth competency is to get clear on your purpose and values. These will bring you continuity, alignment, and drive. They also keep you (and your team) aligned, focused, efficient, effective, and adaptable no matter what happens.
- The sixth key skill is the ability to describe your chosen way forward in a way that inspires you and the people around you to do what needs to be done.
- The seventh key competence is to know how to maintain and build that emotional engagement as you move forward — again, both for yourself and for other people.
These are the seven skills, capabilities, or competencies of Inner Leadership. They are the seven steps to becoming antifragile in a time of change.
All of them help you to become clearer what matters most to you and more able to achieve it. The book provides practical tools to develop your abilities at all of them.
On a scale of 0-10 how strong are you at each of these seven competencies today? Which would you benefit most from developing over the next few months?
Adapted from Inner Leadership: a framework and tools for building inspiration in times of change.
You can sign up to daily posts here.
(And remember: you don’t learn to swim by reading about swimming, you also have to practice.)