Becoming ‘antifragile’ is about more than just being resilient to change, it’s about knowing how to use stress and change to become stronger.
That doesn’t happen overnight and it doesn’t happen in a single step.
Becoming antifragile has two parts: becoming clearer about what matters most to you and becoming more able to put that into practice.
Inner Leadership describes a framework of seven sets of skills or competencies that build both of these step by step:
1. The first skill is your ability to remain calm in a crisis, remaining strongly connected with who you are at your best and what matters most to you. This gets you through the storms — and when times are calm it expands your ability to influence the world.
2. When the world no longer works the way it used to it is easy to make mistaken assumptions. The second skill is to know how to spot those misinterpretations and how to make clearer sense of what is really happening.
3. The third key skill is to be able to find more opportunities, even in a crisis. This increases your options, boosts your morale, and puts you back in control — all of which make you more likely to succeed.
4. The fourth skill is your ability to choose the best way forward for you, even when you have little or no information or can’t predict how things are going to turn out.
5. The fifth competency is to get clear on your purpose and values. These bring you continuity — they keep you (and your team) aligned, focused, efficient, effective, and adaptable no matter what happens.
6. The sixth key skill is the ability to describe your chosen way forward in a way that inspires you (and other people) to do what needs to be done.
7. The seventh capability is knowing how to maintain and build that emotional engagement as you move forward — again, for yourself and other people.
These are the seven skills, capabilities, or competencies of Inner Leadership. They are the seven steps to becoming antifragile in a time of change.
Inner Leadership brings you a framework and tools that enable you to develop and grow your abilities at all of them.
On a scale of 0-10 how strong are you at these seven competencies today? Which will be most important for you over the next 12 months? Which do you most need to improve?
Adapted from Inner Leadership: a framework and tools for building inspiration in times of change.
You can sign up to daily posts here.